Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Alarmed

Today I was looking at the copy of the pathology report I got at my surgeon's on Monday. I wanted to find out just what sort of ovarian cancer I'm dealing with so I could accurately put in the information on a cancer support website.

FINAL DIAGNOSIS

PART 1: ADNEXA, LEFT, SALPINGO-OOPHORECTOMY: MUCINOUS CYSTADENOCARCINOMA OF THE OVARY, WELL-DIFFERENTIATED . . .

Wait a minute. Left? left??

What the-- ? I could have sworn the problem was with the right ovary!

I read the report on the right one, and it said, "ADNEXA, RIGHT . . . ENDOMETRIOTIC CYST WITH CALCIFICATION IN THE OVARY." But that wasn't the 6 cm ovary with the Stage 1A tumor.

This shook me up! Ever since February 19th I was sure everyone had said the tumor was on the right!

I called my surgeon's office and talked to the nurse. "Yes," she reported, "the mass was always on the left. It's out now. Does it matter?"

Yeah, it matters. If I heard that wrong, what else have I missed?

It may be my intellectual pride talking, but this error of mine bugs me more than anything.

No comments: