Saturday, March 19, 2005

"'For I Am with You and Will Rescue You'"

We gathered for daily worship in our interim pastor training course (which ended yesterday); an essential thing, given the clergy's propensity for thinking the fate of the church lies all on us. The experienced interim pastors taking the advanced course planned and led the worship. On Thursday, the woman with preaching duty reflected on how down churches and church members can get on their potential and possibilities. How it's so easy to focus on past failures and present ordeals. "It's just too hard for me," is the woeful refrain.

And ain't it the truth . . . !

And I thought, that sounds like a blues song! "It's just too hard, too hard for me . . . " Yeah. So let's write the rest of it. Except, I'm going to call it


The Pastor's Lament

It's just too hard, too hard for me,
I wanna lay this burden down;
This road's too high, too long and weary,
It's just too hard for me.

But nothing's too hard for my Jesus,
There's nothing too hard for my Lord.
He carried my load up Calvary Road;
There's nothing too hard for Him.

We're poor and broke, no money's comin',
I wanna lay this burden down;
The roof has leaks, the walls are crumblin',
It's just too hard for me.

But nothing's too hard for my Jesus . . .

The world's no help, and evil's knockin',
I wanna lay this burden down;
I tell the truth, seems no one listens,
It's just too hard for me.

But nothing's too hard for my Jesus . . .

Sometimes it seems that there's no use in tryin';
Sometimes it feels I'm a fool to go on.
Young folk don't care and the old folks keep dyin',
It's just too hard for me.

But nothing's too hard for me with my Jesus,
Nothing's too hard for me with my Lord;
He lifted my load on Calvary's road,
There's nothing too hard for Him.
(Copyright 2005, St. Blogwen's Well)

This is a work in progress, of course. And I reserve the right to change it around whenever the inspiration hits me. But I suppose it's the same with pastoring, interim or otherwise. It's always a work in progress. And it's not going to be done-- or done well-- without a large dose of in-Spir(it)-ation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks so much for sharing with me! I got home from Dallas late last night and am still in travel recovery mode, but I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed reading this and I am looking forward to hearing it with music! Take care of yourself and keep in touch.